Thursday, August 31, 2006

Le Pop Culture Flotsam Quiz

Still working on the big entry, so, in order to fulfill my personal goal of an entry a week, here's this:

  • Tom Hanks and John Candy co-starred in two movies together. Everyone remembers Splash!, name the other one. Extra credit: Name the Tom Hanks/Lori Singer/Jim Belushi vehicle.
  • What was the AfterM*A*S*H equivalent to All In The Family?
  • Nancy (Facts of Life) McKeon's brother Philip, starred in this sitcom. Extra credit: Name that sitcom's only spin-off.
  • Continuing in the siblings-in-competing-sitcoms vein, Benson and Growing Pains shared sisters. Name them.
  • Before Nick Cave's The Proposition, Tom Selleck starred in this Australian cowboy epic.
  • Cheers spawned a spin-off revolving around waitress Carla's ex-husband, and starring Casey Kasem's wife. Name it.
  • Enough TV. What was the chorus to M's Pop Musik?
  • What's the deal with Kelis' Milk Shake?
  • Beverly Hills Cop was originally pitched as a project for this star. Uber-Extra Credit: Relate how this is reflected in the sequel.

Considering this comes from the recesses of my geek lizard brain, I'm wishing you the best of luck. I suppose I couldn't stop you from going to Google.

Answers to be provided soon.

9 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

I'll give it a try.

1. Volunteers
2. Archie's Place? Set in a bar?
3. Alice. Xtra: Flo's - something about Flo's Yellow Rose
4. The Gold sisters. Tracy and her sis.
5. Quigley Down Under
6. The Tortelli's
7.?
8.?
9.?

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger amandak said...

"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard"

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Prego said...

Ooh. I'm stumped on the blank ones. Here's a version of Pop Music you might enjoy, though.

P

(or another 'beige' one.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I'd like it known that I, also, knew the answers that JJ gave, but cannot now list them, as it would look redundant and pathetic.

I believe BHC was originally intended for Stallone. Brigette Neilson (or however the holy hell you spell that Amazonian freak-show's name) starred as one of the villains in the sequel, which, one might argue, is a reflection of the series' Stalloneosity.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

I'm not so great with television, and I find you're better with pop obscurities (I do well with obscure pop, if the distinction makes sense). But here are my shots:

* Tom Hanks and John Candy co-starred in two movies together. Everyone remembers Splash!, name the other one. Extra credit: Name the Tom Hanks/Lori Singer/Jim Belushi vehicle.

--Volunteers and . . . is it The Man With One Red Shoe?

* What was the AfterM*A*S*H equivalent to All In The Family?

--Archie Bunker's Place

* Before Nick Cave's The Proposition, Tom Selleck starred in this Australian cowboy epic.

--Quigley Down Under

* Beverly Hills Cop was originally pitched as a project for this star. Uber-Extra Credit: Relate how this is reflected in the sequel.

--Stallone, I think; the question actually led me in that direction, 'cause I remember Brigitte Nielsen being in the sequel (hence the "reflection"). I keep coming back to Brigitte Nielsen this week: I'd listed Red Sonja as one of the most potently shitty movies of all time.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

P.S. - I specifically avoided looking at previous posts, since I knew that, between Joe and JJ, much would have been covered already.

Just so we're clear . . .

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

For the answers to these questions, go here.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

Prego! Thanks for the .mp3!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger keda said...

baby i could teach you, but i'd have to charge...

and i'm quite proud to say thats all i can say. ooh except that prego's pop music has been a favourite with my pogolets now for a few weeks. thats about all the pop culture we need thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home