Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Everyone's a Critic

Or "What IT2M Would Call Another Dry And Boring Post"

It started when my pal Deni's blog was reviewed a couple of months ago. They simply left a comment saying "you've been reviewed at I Talk 2 Much" and a link for the site. They did not like his blog; while calling it well written, the critic felt it was boring. The critic's main complaint was that she (I believe) didn't like PolBlogs, felt they were a waste of time.

I thought, "well, this is a lark. What the fuck?" and submitted Missives to be critiqued.

So, I started waiting, and with that time, I became a regular reader of the site, just to see what I was going to put my writing through.

The kids at IT2M are volunteers (not exactly sure how or why they were selected), who read through the submissions of some hypersensitive people. To willingly go to blog after blog to attempt to give honest feedback, while not earning a paycheck...There's something kinda Quixotic about that, so hats off.

That said, I think it's fair to say that they wear their attitude pretty loudly. "We're Rude - Deal With It" is what their window label (or whatever the fuck that thing is called) reads; yes, they do back that up in spades. They have their preferences, though it does vary from critic to critic. They prefer quick and snarky (Joe, you're just about a shoo-in; Rob, you'd be a hit, but you'd have to work on the length of some of your entries); they prefer more attitude and less exploration of topic; they hate Blogger templates, and would prefer it if you bought your own, or find something else out there; they hate MommyBlogs, ReligioBlogs and PolBlogs, but allow room for exceptions if you blow them away. Their aesthetic requirements border on the psychopathic, in my opinion. They can be blown away, though, and I've found a number of entertaining blogs through them.

If you sense an ambivalence here, well, it's because I'm ambivalent. In a way, they kind of remind me of a gaggle of Adrian Ryans with their own web site. On the other hand, who can blame them for creating their own rules and regulations for what makes a good blog? No one's forcing anybody to adhere to what they have to say. And I can't argue with the traffic they've sent my way...we'll see if that remains steady.

Obviously, I was reviewed today. I knew they'd find me boring, and I wasn't wrong. I found it funny that, due to my preference for cash instead of plastic, I was labeled a "tin-foil hat wearer" (though someone in the comments field noted "this one isn’t even interestingly delusional", which just cracks me up). I wish they had read the Peppermint Patty entry; but I can't say that what they read wasn't representative of what I do as a whole.

le shrug

11 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

I wanted to quickly point out the stance the critic takes on the subject of cash v. plastic: She wonders what it is I do that I'm worrying about being tracked; also, she admits that she automatically assumes that people with huge wads of cash (not how I travel) are associated with criminals and drug dealers.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about in that entry. It's a lot like the corporate world's stance on piss testing: If you don't want to take it, you must have something to hide.

Obviously, I believe that both are an intrusion into my privacy; and that supercedes everything.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger JJisafool said...

Dude, you can edit your own posts. Being the first one to comment on your own blog? That's just sad, man.

I know. I been there. I done it.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Missuz J said...

I kind of hate this idea. I feel like you throw the blog out there, and who likes it, likes it. Yea, I have a counter and am a total comment whore, but still. I want people who like my blog to read it, but I really don't want it to by judged by an "impartial" jury.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger the beige one said...

JJ, even if I were to agree with you in this instance, I'm trying to figure out how what you're saying is supposed to make me feel better, or are you just pointing it out?

Miss Uz J, I feel ya on this, and don't recommend putting anything in there if what you're looking for is anything constructive. They've been on record saying that they never said anything about being constructive.

Their MO really is analogous to local rag The Stranger; they don't have to pretend to be impartial, and they get their juice from putting down those who're offended enough to respond directly to their smarm.

Nuttin' new, nuttin' new, they ain't doing nuttin' new.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

Dude. I'm not trying to make you feel better.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

all right, so, what's your point, McGinley?

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

Dr. Cox wishes he was me.

Actually, Dr. Cox is me had I any real talent.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

yah, sure, point?

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

None.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

cool.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Sudiegirl said...

I got slammed by them too...don't feel bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home