Thursday, September 01, 2005

Pop Culture Flotsam Answers

Well, damn guys, that was quick! Lyam, I'm not sure what you're saying there, but it sounds vaguely...something, so, sure, thanks!

Tom Hanks and John Candy co-starred in two movies together. Everyone remembers Splash!, name the other one. Extra credit: Name the Tom Hanks/Lori Singer/Jim Belushi vehicle.

Name of the Hanks/Candy movie is Volunteers, where Hanks met Rita Wilson, his wife. Hanks/Singer/Belushi movie is The Man With One Red Shoe.

What was the AfterM*A*S*H equivalent to All In The Family?

Archie Bunker's Place, which took place in a pub bought by Archie. Edith bought it early in the run, Meathead and Gloria left for parts unknows. Archie was thus burdened with the presence of some precocious pre-teen niece to fill out the instigator's role.

Nancy (Facts of Life) McKeon's brother Philip, starred in this sitcom. Extra credit: Name that sitcom's only spin-off.

Philip McKeon starred in Alice, as Alice's son. The spin-off was called Flo's Yellow Rose (aka Flo), which saw Flo "Kiss My Grits" Castleberry running her own bar in Texas, where wacky and colorful characters reside. Example of why it only lasted eight episodes: Bartender - (to a group of German tourists:) Beer? German Tourist - Nein! Bartender - Nine?!? (he shrugs and serves them nine beers. Cue laugh track.)

Continuing in the siblings-in-competing-sitcoms vein, Benson and Growing Pains shared sisters. Name them.

Tracy and Missy Gold. Both names were needed for full credit.

Before Nick Cave's The Proposition, Tom Selleck starred in this Australian cowboy epic.

A:Quigley Down Under.

Cheers spawned a spin-off revolving around waitress Carla's ex-husband, and starring Casey Kasem's wife. Name it.

The Tortellis, which featured writing about as strong as Flo's.

Enough TV. What was the chorus to M's Pop Musik?

I really thought this would be the easiest one to answer...It goes: "New York, London, Paris, Munich/Everybody talk about pop musik"

What's the deal with Kelis' Milk Shake?

It does bring all the boys in the yard, but you have to remember that their life is better than yours, damn right. Kelis could teach you, but she'd have to charge. (I was going for the full thing, but accept the partial answer.)

Beverly Hills Cop was originally pitched as a project for this star. Uber-Extra Credit: Relate how this is reflected in the sequel.

Yes, it was Sylvester Stallone, and yes, the casting of Gitte "Original Flava of Love Finalist" Nielsen (post break up with Stallone) is a reflection of this. But it doesn't stop there. Beverly Hills Cop 2, in many ways, served as a sharp elbow to Sly's ribs, who was starting his hubris-dribbling phase, and who apparently pissed off a number of the original's production team (they've since bridged the chasm). You have the stunt casting of Nielsen, a number of visual cues revolving around Judge Reinhold's character, who went from charmingly goofy, to charmingly goofy gun nut (at one point he is asked if he's going to go all Rambo on people). The plot of BHC2 revolves around a certain Beverly Hills gun club, the look and style of which was modeled on a real BH gun club, partially owned and operated by guess who.

It's amazing to me that while I can't remember exactly what I'm doing this weekend, there's still room for crap like that in my head. Sad, really.

10 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

Lyam, I'm not sure what you're saying there, but it sounds vaguely...something, so, sure, thanks!

I was just noting that by the time I came here, there were already four responses, but that I avoided reading them so as to draw the answers from my own body of knowledge. When I finished, I returned, of course, to see how my knowledge stacked up to that of other respondents. At that time, I noted that Joe said this:

I'd like it known that I, also, knew the answers that JJ gave, but cannot now list them, as it would look redundant and pathetic.

Having seen that, I wanted to make it clear that, far from being redundant and pathetic, I was relying on my own banks for the answers, and only my having a life prevented me from getting to the thread at an earlier time. :^)

In any case, I'm glad I got The Man With One Red Shoe correct, and am otherwise completely unimpressed with myself. Kudos for Amanda with the Kelis' milkshake thing, but I don't even know what that refers to. And if I've EVER heard the M's "Pop Musik", I'm not aware of it.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

Interesting stuff on allmusic.com re:M and "Pop Muzik". Apparently the mind behind the band went to school with Malcolm McLaren and later produced for the Slits.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

no no, not that bit! The bit about "obscure pop/pop obscurities."

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

oh, and didn't allmusic have a clip of the song I'm sure you've heard a thousand times over?

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger rob said...

It does bring all the boys in the yard, but you have to remember that their life is better than yours, damn right. Kelis could teach you, but she'd have to charge. (I was going for the full thing, but accept the partial answer.)

Then you, the creator of the question, only get partial credit as well as, while Kelis's milkshake does bring the boys to the yard, their collective life is not better than yours. They are, however, like, "It's better than yours."

And Kelis is all, "Damn right, it's better than yours. I could teach you, but I'd have to charge...

"...'cuz I'm a prostitute."

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

I stand corrected. Damn shame, really. My version has a whole saucy arrogance thing going.

And Rob, have you seen Kelis? Hot. Ness. This, along with the whole Starbuck thing isn't getting you a lot of "straight cred," my friend.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

I was checking allmusic at work, where I don't have sound access. I may check for a clip tomorrow . . .

To me, pop obscurities = obscure or picayune information about stuff that's at least nominally popular, while obscure pop = stuff that happens in the pop universe, but is decidedly unnoticed by most. Since I made the distinction up, I suppose it was only by way of context I would have imagined anyone could pick it up.

Can you believe the Maggie Gyllenhaal dissing going on over at the roundtable? My God, I can't even talk about it.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger the beige one said...

I find that pop obscurities often leads to obscure pop...that world seems interconnected that way.

And yeah, I've noticed the Maggie Bashing (Rob, anything to say on the matter?), but whatcha gonna do? I know some folks at work who can't abide by Scarlett Johannsen...

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger rob said...

And Rob, have you seen Kelis? Hot. Ness. This, along with the whole Starbuck thing isn't getting you a lot of "straight cred," my friend.

Ummm...what?

Never did I say anything about Kelis's hot. Or her ness. Yeah...Kelis is highly fuckable.

Just like a prostitute is highly fuckable.

As for Maggie Gyllenhaal, she's pretty patootish. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

Well...perhaps I would, but only because there's more room on the floor.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger thelyamhound said...

I find that pop obscurities often leads to obscure pop...that world seems interconnected that way.

Well put. Actually, the Pop Muzik example is quite illustrative, as its engineer can be traced to important postpunk luminaries like the Slits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home