Friday, June 08, 2007

La Quinta Update

I think that's a fitting nickname for the Hilton albatross, no?

Very slowly waking up this morning, but reading the latest on La Quinta helped in its way. Immediately perked up when I saw this bit:

After three or five days of serving her sentence (the exact number is a matter of interpretation) she was released Thursday by the local sheriff for unspecified medical reasons to serve the rest of her term in home detention. The problem is that the judge who sentenced her specifically barred home detention in his order. This afternoon Hilton and the sheriff will have to explain themselves to the judge.
--Salon's War Room


I'm thinking that's a smart judge, there; because the whole thing smelled "payout" if you ask me...

Mere seconds after reading that, I get an email from a friend who's at home watching it unfold on CNN. She says: "[There are]helicopters overhead, cars outside, and she was inside, screeching and pouting (there was no video) because she'd (a) asked to CALL in to court this morning and (B) planned a PARTY at her place for tonight!"

I mean, PLANNED A FUGGIN' PARTY? Yumpin' Yehosaphats, the balls on this dame. Not the physical ones in aggregate...you know what I mean!

So, I'm digging around, looking for tidbits about this crazy event. Ran into this from some AP feed somewhere:

Hilton, who was brought to court in handcuffs in a sheriff's car, came into the courtroom disheveled and weeping. Her hair was askew and she wore a gray fuzzy sweatshirt over slacks. She wore no makeup and she cried throughout the hearing.


Wow...Cuffs, disheveled, actual visible and discernible emotion, fuzzy sweatshirts, no makeup...Wow. USA's little automaton's been pushed to her limits. The silicone chip inside her brain's been pushed to overload.

The Boomtown Rats take residence in my head, and my fascination's been whipped into a frenzy! What's happening now? What's going on? CNN's live feed isn't working for me! What, who, how! TELL ME NOW!

Paris Hilton was taken from a courtroom screaming and crying Friday seconds after a judge ordered her returned to jail to serve out her entire 45-day sentence for a parole violation in a reckless driving case.

"It's not right!" shouted the weeping Hilton.


Oh, look! An accompanying picture! (Click on it for a larger image.)

Oh, this is juicy! She's serving out the original sentence, not just half! They say she cried for her mom!

O frabjous day! Justice! This SO totally makes up for Robert Blake, and OJ, and the Tuskegee Experiments!

And everyone I talk to, every blog I visit, every stranger I pass has that look. That look that says that things are right with the world, and that the weekend ahead would be a pleasurable one. We as a society have grabbed a moral victory out of the jaws of mind-numbing defeat! I feel like an extra in Gladiator!

And I bask in the refracted glory of this moment, knowing full well that everyone else is feeling like me at this moment.

Then I went to Waiter Rant.

Touche', garcon...touche'.
----------
Edited to Add - So, Cintra Wilson has a similar piece in today's Salon, and...

Well, she ends up taking an extra step in her commentary. One that I didn't think was necessary. As she puts it: "Instead, we are engaging in our new favorite dysfunctional love-hate relationship: Public stoning of the celebrity hooker."

Maybe I have a tin-ear for this sort of thing, maybe I wear blinders, but does La Quinta's sex life have much to do with our desire to see her go down (I swear to you, these are not intentional)? Granted, her sex life was what brought her to our attention, but since then? Maybe it's just me, but what I noted about her (when I noted anything about her) was just what her influence did to the people around her, the meanness of her actions...To me, she was the latest in the Heathers archetype.

I didn't care what or who she did in the bedroom, I hated what she represented...vapid narcissistic wealth run amok.
-------
Edited again - Just to bring things full circle:

[Giuliani's]political strength...comes from America's unrelenting passion for never bothering to take that extra step to figure shit out.
--Matt Taibbi


Nail, meet head.--TBO

4 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

"I mean, PLANNED A FUGGIN' PARTY? Yumpin' Yehosaphats, the balls on this dame. Not literal ones...you know what I mean!"

I believe the popular term these days (thanks to Mssr. Colbert) is to say, "the Thatchers on this dame."

And Waiter Rant so totally has the right perspective. I mean, I could give a shite less about Ms. Hilton and her legal difficulties, but even I can't seem to get away from it completely.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Kate said...

So yeah. I'm a classic case. I turn off NPR when they do the roll call of deaths in Iraq, but I can't get enough of the schadenfreude when it comes to this stuff.

I don't however, think that the two are disconnected. Yes, yes, there's the old argument about a grand conspiracy to keep us distracted. I'm not denying it. What I think though, is that Ms. H represents all of us in her denial of reality of the world at large.
Her sense of entitlement mirrors that of our nation's populace, ie - us. Her expectation to get off scott free while others have to pay is the same as our expectation to consume most of the world's energy and food.

And I even think there is a doomsday obsession with watching her being forced to go back to the big house. We know that when Peak Oil, global warming, the Chinese takeover or WTF-ever it's gonna be that gives us its comeuppance (every empire goes down eventually folks, and we are following the classic pattern), that we are all collectively going be Paris in the squad car, bawling at the horrible feeling of reality at long last.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hit it.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger the beige one said...

levide, ladies and gentlemen! He'll be here all week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home