Monday, November 21, 2005

Well, Didn't You Read It?

Okay, look: I know attention spans are a hell of a lot shorter than what they used to be...Actually, no, I don't know that. There are times when I think that last sentence is used to disguise general laziness when it comes to paying attention.

I liken this to the complaints I hear from people these days about the length of a movie/play. You know, not even fifteen years ago, the average play was two and a half hours long. Can you imagine? The Godfather was over three hours long. If it came out now, people would leave the theater bitching: "Jesus, three hours? Why couldn't they cut out that one bit?"

This shit pisses me off to no end. If you're engaged in something, what the fuck are you thinking about how long it is? I mean, if it's that good, and you're fidgeting because you want to leave, you're a fucking cow in my book. Suck it up, bitch, get to the end.

I am, by no means, defending bloat. I hate bloat, because it gives people the reason to behave like this. I prefer my entertainments lean and to the point, so if you're going to spend, say, 20 pages describing a character's history or an event, then it better be pertinent to the story, as well as being entertaining.

Or, in the case of the world of letters, germane and possessing a point.

And, despite the fact that my writings seem to come out of my ass, I like to think that I don't waste time writing whatever it is I'm writing; whether it's an email, an entry for the underpants, notes for my actors or a script.

So, you can imagine how irritating it is to hear/read a question regarding something I've written and have to explain something that's already in the original missive to begin with. I will soon get to the point where I'm just going to say, "read it again," because HELLO?!? That's why I went to the trouble of writing it out, so your questions were answered. At least do me the favor of reading the whole fucking thing through, dumbass!

Now, if it's not in there, that's one thing. If one is wondering what happened after a certain event, that's cool. Or, even if the details are murky, that's okay too.

But, if it's right there, in plain text, know that you're playing with fire, whatever your excuse is.

9 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger hazel said...

this happens to me at work all the fucking time. it's not as fun as writing missives for actors, but I think the sentiment is the same. for fuck's sake, if you're taking the time to hit reply and write some longwinded question, couldn't you take the time to read the email you're fucking replying to?

and anger allows that prepositions be dangled.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

and anger allows that prepositions be dangled.

hahaha! Amen, sis.

It was actually a work-related event that spawned this entry, though I get plenty of it in the outside world also.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Stine said...

See I'm one of those people that, at times, skims stuff due to time constraints. I need to just keep my mouth shut if I don't have time to read everything.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Missuz J said...

I was afraid to comment on this post, because I wanted to ask, umm, What is this about? Did someone ask a dumb question on your blog or something? It wasn't until I read patrice and stine's comments that I felt safe to say something.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger the beige one said...

I was afraid to comment on this post...

Well, in this instance, the cause for the rant wasn't included, so it wasn't in there, so it would've been fair game...

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

"I know attention spans are a hell of a lot shorter than what they used to be...Actually, no, I don't know that."

I agree with and understand your general point, being that people often don't read carefully. More often than not, I think it is simple intellectual laziness.

In fact, I put it roughly on par with those that hear only a bit of what you are saying and make decisions about you based on their own presuppostions. And you have seen firsthand how much that hacks me off.

But, attention spans are most certainly changing, and it is a product of our culture. There are plenty of people for whom MTV has always been a way of life, and as a result whose brains are able to process quick cut visual information far more efficiently than you or I or especially the generation ahead of us. This is an oversimplification (Read Rushkoff's Children of Chaos for more and mo' bettah), but you get the idea.

Cuz, truly cuz, you end up sounding like the fogey you are on your way to being when you start to wax poetic about the old days of longer plays and movies. Just as easy to call you gramps for your inability to draw meaning from the short and packed as it is to beat up the great unwashed for their inability to draw meaning from the dense and protracted.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

uhhh...no.

Call me gramps, fine, that's all good. You're making the assumption that I don't appreciate nor could I draw meaning from short and packed, and that's not the case.

There are times, however, that attention must be paid, to borrow a phrase, and I don't give a rat's ass who you are, how old you are, or whatever other excuse you could come up with.

These are things you're supposed to learn and do. No one gets a free pass.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

"...you're supposed to..."

Treading awfully close to "should." Dangerous ground, that.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

Treading awfully close to "should." Dangerous ground, that.

You know, I'm willing to take that risk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home