Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Links: Joe W./Disgruntled Bit-Players

This one's gonna be weird for me, mostly because I don't know how to broach the subject. I mean, w/Skot, I could go on about his drunken/curmudgeon demeanor, Deni's more about his extremism, etc. etc. etc. What can I tell you about Joe, except that 1) he's a goddamn funny motherfucker (up there with some of the best), 2) he likes making pies, and 3) he's head over heels in love with his wife, M? These are his most obvious character traits. His most obvious physical trait is his uncanny resemblance to Divine, which is a shame, really.

And yet, he is one of my closest friends in the world; definitely one of the people I respect the most. The former statement in the last sentence may take him by surprise, considering that I don't really talk with him all that much, since he moved to NYC. This has more to do with my military brat up-bringing (in which distance is the great nullifier), than anything else.

Actually, what's really a shame is that he's not doing as much sketch in NYC as he should, I mean this guy's the fucking shit. Even though we had created DBP together, and started as equal writing partners in the endeavor, by the time 2001 came along he was nearly the only writer on board (a couple of bits would be brought in by myself and others in the group). While I could claim that the nexus for Gate 17 (DBP's most popular show) came from a kernel of an idea I had, 90% of the material was written by Joe, and it was great stuff.

So, no, I can't regale you with stories about how he and I stayed up way past sunrise, drunk off of Vermouth, puking into our shoes.

I can tell you that he's one of the most charming people on earth (much like his wife), entertaining company, giving, caring, and yes: The Funny One.

And that should be enough.

[Click here to go to the next in the "Links" series.--tbo]

1 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Joe said...

You're just saying all that because you need a place to stay while you're in New York, ya conniver, you.

Thanks for the nice words and respect right back to you, sir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home