Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Jones III, Basketball

Congratulations to the Sonics for various reasons, but primarily for advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs. At this moment, it looks like they'll be up against the San Antonio Spurs, by which I mean they'll be up against the Spurs starting this weekend. (Highly unlikely the Nuggets will make it three in a row to advance, but I wouldn't put it past George Karl to do so.)

Okay, here's what's been giving me and my RTB soapbox [Refuse to Believe, and if you can't find a link on this page to take you to what I'm referring to, you're not looking hard enough] fits right now:

King Kaufman sez: Kings Make Sonics Look Better Than They Are

I guess "giving me fits" might be overstating it a bit, it just feels like a tizzy.

The thing is, as much as I try to remain neutral about the boys' chances, Kaufman's article feels like a slap to the face (though I should be used to it, Kaufman has been nothing but derisive of Seattle, and the Sonics in particular all season long). Especially considering how dominant the Sonics, not just Ray Allen, were in this series. Kaufman, for once, represents what is the conventional wisdom on the Sonics: Complete Fluke. They shouldn't even be here.

And I'll be the first to admit that this team makes no sense, on paper or even at first glance. When the Sonics were blown out in the first game of the season against the Clippers, I braced myself for yet another disappointing season.

But, damnit if they haven't proven themselves, several times over, worthy of whatever challenge is in front of them.

I place responsibility for this squarely on Nate "Mr. Starbucks Better Get On The Goddamn Schneid Already" McMillan's shoulders. It seems like he was finally able to convince his players that maybe, just maybe, he might be on to something with this coaching thing. Look no further than Jerome James for proof of this. If I were any of these men involved with the team, I'd be yelling "fuck conventional wisdom" at the top of my lungs.

But I'm not. Also, RTB. While I won't commit either one way or the other on the series, I seriously doubt that it'll be the Spurs dismantling the Sonics like Kaufman predicts. I'll leave it to the team to go about proving him wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home