Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Which The Blogger Pretends It Hasn't Been That Long

Right, so...Hello.

Anyway, I've been spending time recently putting the finishing touches on an edit of the Noir piece mentioned over there on the right (I've been calling it the "no fat" edit, due to the fact that it is now bare-boned...I have the pieces in place, and now I can add layers making it stronger)...I feel pretty good about it, though I'm dying for more feedback (why, yes, that was a hint, people from whom I asked for feedback!), though that which I have received thus far has been pretty helpful.

That, and I'm piecing together material for the new solo, which was inspired by my ruminations on my trip back to PR a number of years ago.

So that has taken up some time.

Also, I am once again roommate free! So, more time has been used up moving things around, cleaning like a charwoman, and enjoying the space with the K. Oh, the former roommate was unable to take both of her cats with her, so I adopted that guy, and now the K has a buddy. He's taking his usual time warming up to her.

Other than that, it's been pretty normal, to the point of participating in a wonk-off session with PalJJ and PalHound over Mike Daisey's latest theatrical endeavor (click on that link, and scroll down for a very small response to the hoopla. If you reach naked redheaded twins with leaves over their privates, you've scrolled too far).

It's interesting what the phenomenon created by Daisey's fluff essay in the Stranger has wrought: People pro and con of what he said going on and on...in Seattlest, and the Theater Puget Sound board, actually talking about what does and doesn't work in the regional theater model. Particularly from people who haven't actually seen the show in question.

I have my thoughts, but after the previously mentioned wonk-off, I just ain't gonna get into it here. Just noting my fascination with it all. Wondering what effect, if any, it will have once the NYC run begins.

Anyway, that's the essence of life lately. Oh, yeah: Here's my new favorite comic strip for the next few weeks: Tom the Dancing Bug.

And hey, you want a semi-regularly written blog that both entertains and makes you laugh? You could do far worse than the oft-pimped-on-these-pages PalJoe's blog. Motherfucker even has a podcast now, The Conversation with Bob Felcher and Karl Baloneypants. With a name like that, you know you can expect klass.

6 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to have you back, sorta.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

It would be interesting to hear your take on Mike's piece, but I'm sure you've probably been having exactly the same sorts of conversations I've been engaged in - both public and private, so it would probably just be redundent.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

Yeah, Chris, redundant would be a way to put it...Briefly, however, I'm of the mind that Daisey is on to something, and that I don't think it's too much to ask to view current models of operation with change in mind.

I think that the opposing view begin their arguments with nothing but dismissive statements (boiling down to "quit whingeing" and "what did you expect?") either because they're comfortable with the way things are, or they don't really want to engage into an honest discussion of it all.

Once you get beyond that (if you can get beyond that), the conversation actually gets interesting, but I haven't been able to see how widespread that phenomenon has been.

The dismissive thing gets in my craw, admittedly, because I did not spend money on training just to be seen as simply a malcontent (just what would these people do if actors, union, non-union or wannabes, stopped being available to them?); and I don't believe that actors are expecting to live a life of luxury doing it; however, if the actor has received the job, I don't think it's unreasonable for that actor to expect to live off of the job, in exchange for giving up day jobs, personal life, etc.

Lastly, applause should not be considered part of the actor's compensation.

And them's my thoughts, I am not looking to engage further than this.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger the beige one said...

Oh, and I found Daisey's show pretty entertaining; one person's love note to an artform that's showing signs of ill health. And, as a Seattle Fringe vet, I really appreciated the essential obituary to the 90s-early 00s scene.

I kinda miss those days.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Me too! :)

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Deni said...

I think you and I will get along fine, Missuz J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home