Monday, January 29, 2007

Lightning Round

Three topics and a rant just for my purposes. Seeking comments on:

*Six high school girls come up with a list to kill several hundred people, along with a few celebrities.

I think palAdam, puts it best. I do think sending the kids to jail is a bit of an overreaction. I, myself, authored such a list, which included my dad, the school's football coach, and most of the jocks in the school. It served as a fine way to blow steam, actually. (Thanks Adam, for the tip.)

*Should moms be drinking, while the kids play together?

Uh...look. As long as the mommies aren't spiking the pablum with everclear, what the hell is the problem here? It's not like the mommies go all "Girls Gone Wild," do they?

Right about here is where this country's puritanical roots really get on my damn nerves. If you're a parent that doesn't drink (assuming you're out there), and don't want your toddlers exposed to those that do, then keep the sprat at home, or find a babysitting alternative. However, this vice is a fact of life, and the more you behave like it's a taboo, the more likely your tyke will want to know all there is to know about it in about 12 - 14 years.

(Tip o' the keyboard to ~A~, looking forward to hearing your thougths on the matter.)

*Have you wondered what it would be FOXNews would do now that their political lovers are out of power and favor? Well, it's nothing new.

My favorite development, however, is the fact that CNN (and hopefully, MSNBC) is starting to call bullshit when it sees it.

*Finally, a rant for the B. Jones in me: Dear Sonics owners, It's really simple: You want my support, give me a playoff calibre team. Renton's giving you the land you need...literally, giving it to you. The talent at your disposal continues to be full of promise, if not execution. Your coaching staff sucks.

Get on it before the vote comes up.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Re: Story #1:

Agreed, the punishment clearly doesn't fit the crime, however, threatening to make them spend time in the hoosgow would most likely have a very positive educative effect on the little vixens.

And really, in this day-and-age, do high school students still NOT understand that blabbing about hypothetically whacking your classmates all over your My Space page is NOT the smartest thing to be doing?

Re: Story #2:

Look, clearly these moms are not boozing it up to the point of inebriation, and even if they were, one would expect them to be smart enough to have at least one Designated Watcher or whatever it would be called. Frankly, I'd be much more concerned if these stay-at-home former career women weren't having a bit of a nip with friends on occasion, even if the rug-rats had to be towed along in order to accomodate that.

Re: Story #3:

For me the most relevent statement comes near the end of the article, when Mr. Cooper is quoted as saying that CNN did what any "serious news organization" would be expected to do in such a situation. Since I've never actually considered FOX in that light, it doesn't seem all that unusual to me that they'd run a vague, unsubstantiated rumor as if it were unimpeachable fact.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger JJisafool said...

#1 Should kids know not to do this? Yes. Is it jail-worthy? No. But, shit, there's a kid, good student and star athlete, serving 10 years with no possibility of parole in a Georgia prison because he, at 17, got a consensual blowjob from a 15-yr-old at a party. If someone should do time, I'd rather it was these girls than that kid. (Three guesses as to the color of his skin, and the first two don't count.)


#2 So not the right person to ask about this. Of course I have no problem with knocking a few back around the kids. However, I can see why there should be SOME social stigma here, because I've known people to take it too far. Maybe not smashed, but too impaired to get their fat suburban asses into an SUV that is WAY too big for them to be driving on a good day. Maybe keeping it "naughty" is just the governor needed. Just ask Paula Poundstone.

#3 Yeah, Nixonian dirty tricks. But I agree with Chris. Since when is FOX a serious news organization? They preach to their choirs, but even moderate Republicans take them with a grain of salt. The question is how to fight it. And it is good to see other mainstream news organizations doing it.

#PS The Sonics suck. I have given up.

My own PS - I'd just like to state again, for the record, the new Blogger sucks ass. I friggin' hate the comment system, which is even worse if you have multiple users on your computer. How much more time must I waste repeatedly trying to get comments up? New Blogger is fucking clownshoes.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Well, that's what you get for trying to use Blogger Comments. Try one of the indies like Rate Your Music, which is what I use.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home