Monday, May 07, 2007

RIP - Howard Bulson

(Tip o'the keyboard to Chris Comte, who has written a lovely eulogy himself.)

Wow...Outside of JP Patches, I can't imagine a bigger Seattle legend than Howard Bulson, may he rest in peace.

Unlike Patches, though, I believe that Howard has been a bit more prevalent in people's minds in recent years. He was the fixture in many a circle. He worked as an accompanyist at the renowned dive Sorry Charlie's, and was one of the friendliest...personages I'd met in town.

I was, by no means, a regular to his event (especially in the latter years, since Sorry Charlie's closure), but whenever I showed up, either for a birthday or some other celebratory event, he remembered that I did a rendition of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" in Spanish that he liked to hear. Bless the poor lad, what he endured for a bit of untranslated lyricism.

His death will likely affect others a bit more deeply than it did for me (Marty, Karen, and Lisa come to mind), but this doesn't mean I didn't respect the man.

Cheers, Sir. In a town that could exponentially afford more characters like yourself, you are severely missed already.

EDITED TO ADD: Good friend Skot also eulogizes Mr. Bulson rather well.

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

The J.P. Patches allusion is totally correct. I was thinking exactly that last night, "there just aren't many bona-fide 'characters' left in this town anymore". Yes, Wedes and Newman are still around, but for how much longer? I'd also put fellow kids show host Stan Boreson on that list, along with ID restaurant maven Ruby Chow, and Dorothy the Rainbow Lady, but it's becoming a pretty exclusive club. As for the rest: Ivar Haglund, Emmett Watson, Vern Fonk, Jack Roberts (why are so many of them business owners??) - a lot of this town's true eccentrics, the colorful characters that help give the burg a distinct sense of its own style, have fallen by the wayside, and there just doesn't seem to be a new generation of similarly bigger-than-life personages stepping up to replace them.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Are the crazy Eye-Van ladies still around? My god, I loved them.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Are those the ones with the veils and all the blingety-bling? If so, I've seen at least one of them around, but haven't seen the van in ages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home