Wednesday, March 21, 2007

RIP - Larry "Bud" Melman, aka Calvert Deforest

Wow, 85 years old...I've always known him as Larry "Bud" Melman, and will continue to refer to him as such, and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this.

As you're probably aware, I'm a huge Letterman fan, and Melman was part and parcel with that package during the early years on NBC through to the beginning of Letterman's CBS run.

I loved the guy, mostly for his being so genuine. There was no way you could act the way Melman did, you couldn't put that on and be able to get away with it without winking to the audience. No, "Bud" was exactly who he was.

My favorite Melman series of moments took place when Letterman was still on NBC.

They'd gotten an RV and the first generation of video phones, and sent Melman on a trip from NYC down through Central America, South America, all the way to the tip of Peru. 'Round about Louisina, he started feeling homesick, and he made it mid-way through Mexico, before he begged to be brought back home.

Seriously, his reports were so depressed and melancholy by that time, you couldn't help but feel sorry even while you were laughing.

"It's not funny, David. I'm serious."

I wonder if Letterman will give a tribute this evening. Or whenever he returns.

Goodbye, sir, and thank you for your service in the name of entertainment.

*cheers*

1 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger JJisafool said...

Y'know, you're a bit morbid with your always being the first to tell me about dead famous personages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home