Wednesday, February 23, 2005

YAY! More Death!

The following is in reply to Rood1's comment on my previous post. Rood's comment is included, for a minimum of the mouse clicking and the hurting, frau laven.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the only movie I have ever walked out of, and believe me, I've seen some true dogs. That vile piece of shit was making me ill. And speaking of vile pieces of shit, killing yourself while your kid is in the next room? Total self-absorbed asshole to the end.

- Rood1

Rood,

Well, I don't know what to tell you.

I would disagree about the movie, and the book. I don't think I have any room to judge him as a person.

However, there is a school of thought that supposes that anyone who would commit suicide is a self absorbed asshole, regardless of proximity to a relative.

Again, I shrug my shoulders.

In the documentary I mentioned in the post, he talks about committing suicide (this is back in the 70s), so that's at least 30-plus years he's been talking about doing this.

Does it make the act any better, particularly for his son? No, but it's not like this is an alien concept for the kid.

And let's talk about this kid, who has a wife and a child of his own.

'nuff said.

Besides, who are we talking about here? He sure ain't Mr. Fucking Rogers.

And while I'm not one to advocate suicide, I will admit that I am ambivalent about the act, in general. Do I think it's a waste of life? Yes. Do I think it's a cop out? Yes. But millions of practitioners might be on to something.

In fact, I think Kurt Cobain's suicide is exponentially more morally repellant than Hunter Thompson's. For one thing, Cobain's kid was younger, in need of more care, and, as a result of his actions, was left in the hands of someone who had no business being a parent.

For another thing, I would rather know what happened in the next room and when (regardless of how violent), than, say, walk into a room--who knows how much later, it does make a difference--and find a mess where I had left a human being.

That's just me, though.

Also, far be it from me to suggest that Mr. Cobain is a self-absorbed asshole. Dumbass chickenshit, sure. But an extremely talented dumbass chickenshit.

In my opinion, Dr. Thompson was a marvelously talented misanthrope with the audacity to live and, ultimately, die by his convictions. Dumbass chickenshit or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home