Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Thank You, Mr. Letterman, and Other Death Related Nonsense

For those who saw Late Show last night, what did I tell you?

For those who didn’t, you missed out on a great show.

And so, while Leno supplied the clip show and Ed McMahon, Letterman supplied a more in-depth look at Carson, trading in on what can only be described as intimate knowledge of the man he was eulogizing. His guests were Peter La Salle, and Doc Severinsen (who did a great job on the song he played).

The entire thing was one of the sweetest eulogies I’ve seen, even paying tribute to the old Tonight Show bumper slides.

I remember when Carson towed Letterman’s truck, which was priceless, and it was followed up a few months later with a mock People’s Court segment (with Judge Wapner) where Dave tried to sue Johnny for the scratch he bitches about in the clip. I also remember when Johnny sat down on the Late Show set in LA…It was pretty electrifying at the time.

And I don’t know what rock I’ve been hiding under, but I was unaware that Carson was sending gags to Letterman, and the New Yorker too. (Is this really common knowledge? Or is my roommate, A, pulling my leg?) Not to sound unreasonably bitter and vindictive, but was Carson writing for Leno? No? Hmmm.

Anyway, the show was everything I hoped it would be, and so thanks, Dave.
----

Checked out today’s Izzle Pfaff, which gives a slightly different take on my late friend Bronko.

I’m not sure that all 8 of my readers understand just how big an impact Bronk’s passing has on a sizeable subset of the Seattle theater crowd.

Skot’s entry reminded me of a few details:

- They had a sign that read “Hot Turky [sic] Sandwich”
- The Blue Steer: roast beef, cheese and blue cheese dressing
- The other monstrosity he mentions (beef patty, sausage patty, fried egg and cheese) was called the Joe Burger, which I once had the misfortune of eating (at Angie’s insistence. She swore it was my favorite, which I had never ordered before in my life.)
- Skot himself was a big fan of Angie’s turkey sandwich

Both Bronko and Angie keep returning to my thoughts, for obvious reasons…It’ll be good to see who shows up for the memorial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home